Dec 2006 | 224pp
CILIP members price: £51.95
How to buy eBooks
Anyone wishing to be a successful supervisor must learn the interpersonal skills of communication, assertiveness and the psychology of motivation in order to build a successful team with a positive ethos.
This book provides a practical guide to supervisory skills for team leaders and supervisors in library and information work. Although reference is made to relevant management concepts, its strength is that it translates theory into practice, and the focus is decidedly on the latter. This is very much a 'how to' guide for anyone wishing to develop a supervisory role in an ILS context.
Each topic is covered in a practical and down-to-earth manner, and is illustrated by examples and case studies from different types of ILS. The text also offers self-development inventories and checklists. Key topics covered are:
1. The role of team leaders in ILS
2. Leading and managing the team
3. Confident leadership and supervision
5. Managing the work
6. Communication skills
7. Managing and leading complex teams
8. Human resource management
9. Workplace learning and training
10. Personal and professional development
"...a superior resource…This is a considered and practical work. Its content is presented in effective and appealing ways."
- Australian Library Journal